Progress made during Fall 2021:¶
- Turbine blades purchased and acquired.
- Wind turbine base materials purchased and assembled.
- The base is made from plywood with 2x4's for reinforcement.
- Two elbows and a T-fitting are used to attach tower to the base.
- Tower assembled.
- Donated piping was used for the tower
- Nacelle constructed with blades, generator, and tail.
- Blades were attached to hub of the generator.
- Generator was attached to nacelle through multiple pipe clamps.
- Tail was fabricated using donated car fenders.
- The electrical system was completed.
- This consisted of connecting the generator to the battery with a diode in line.
In the Spring 2022 semester, the Wind Turbine Team plans to:¶
- Reinforce the way the current nacelle is fixed to tower.
- Current system is weak and susceptible to fatigue.
- Add stability to tower through the use of guy-lines.
- Current tower is secured by rigidly fixing base.
- Test power output during operation.
- The wind turbine will be assembled in open field on windy day.
A big thanks to the graduating seniors for all the work they have put into this project!
First raising of the wind turbine.¶
Construction of the nacelle.¶
Completed base with wiring being fed through tower to be connected to generator.¶